Descent Task Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Revival of the group of players who love playing Descent for the Thrill and awesomeness that the 6DOF FPS from the 1990's is

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» We plan to move back to our old home!!!!
Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 9:42 pm by Tylosaurus

» Video Prohibido De La Sueca Target=
Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 11:02 pm by Guest

» Office 2013 All-In-One For Dummies
Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 pm by Guest

» Weez1990's & Tylo's Collection of Prehistoric Reptiles & Dinosaurs!
Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 12:50 pm by Tylosaurus

» Foe-Tech (D1) (WIP, 8 Levels, MP)
Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 1:48 pm by Enzo03

» Meet The World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection! xDDDD
Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 11:26 am by Enzo03

» Rat Pack ready
Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 12:01 pm by Enzo03

» Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)
Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 10:07 pm by Enzo03

» Pigmy's Leave of Absence
Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 am by Tylosaurus

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 29 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Enzo03
Cadet
Cadet

Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) Empty
PostSubject: Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)   Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 pm

I have been thinking about this for a while since some of us in the rangers server have been doing things like map challenges (make the best map you can with 10 cubes, anyone?) and collaborations (one of these was along the lines of "map speed-dating" where we'd work on a map for a half hour and then send it to the next person while getting another map from another.

An idea I had was this:
1) I or someone else or whatever would make, say, the main room of a map, perhaps only partially completed
2) Other mappers would edit this base map into a finished product
3) We see which finished map(s) is/are the best
4) Put all the maps into a single mission or something

Sound good? I'll have to work on this idea later today.

edit: Furthermore, if we want to make things genuinely interesting, we can make a cube-count budget, i.e. you can only use such-and-such number of cubes more. For example, I could make a room or two and say "you can use no more than 15 cubes" or maybe 20. If I'm feeling really mean, I might say 10. I might give this idea a whirl tonight.
Back to top Go down
Xephelium
Elite
Elite
Xephelium

PostSubject: Re: Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)   Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 3:43 pm

I like this idea. I often make a neat room and then don't have any idea what to make the rest of the level like so it just goes unfinished.

I would advocate for a higher cube count (say 25-30) so level designers have more leeway for creativity and detail. Otherwise all the maps will be the same: rectangular rooms connected by rectangular tunnels. Unless you like that kind of thing. Minerva, Neptune, and Vamped seem very popular.
Back to top Go down
Enzo03
Cadet
Cadet

PostSubject: Re: Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)   Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 11:03 am

Well while more cubes leaves more room for creativity increases mapmaker freedom, I want to force people to be as crafty as possible. Smile

I could probably add more requirements for a finished map though.

I would have already given this idea a whirl if only there were actually some people in mumble other than Will and Blarget and me.

edit: I want to revise what I said about more cubes. I believe that more cubes gives someone more room to create what they want but does not necessarily constitute greater creativity. Though not mutually exclusive, creativity and freedom are not the same.

Last edited by Enzo03 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Trent Hawkins
Elite
Elite
Trent Hawkins

Location : /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

PostSubject: Re: Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)   Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:16 pm

I am all over in this. Xeph is right, there must actually be no limit at all at the pieces we bring in. Aside from the fact that anyone playing descent uses one of two modern ports which support more than 900 cubes, even if we stick under 900, it's better to process the pieces as they come and try to adjust them into levels posteriori. My dad used to say to me when I was playing with lego, "never bind your design according to your available materials, never fear to run out." So let's build the pieces completely freely, and bind them as it can me seen fit.
Back to top Go down
Enzo03
Cadet
Cadet

PostSubject: Re: Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)   Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Thinking about it, 25-30 is much more reasonable, maybe up to 50. On the other hand, I disagree with allowing no limits, especially in this case because it completely undermines much of the challenge; if you just want to build whatever you want, you might as well make your own level from scratch.

It also conflicts with one of my bigger inspirations for this thing - Trackmania's puzzle mode, which only allows a limited amount of pieces and challenges you to make a track within this budget to achieve the best time and hopefully beat the gold (or even the author) medal time. With an unlimited budget, the challenge is gone since you could just put in a bunch of platforms to make the straightest possible line from the start to the finish.

Haven't gotten around to doing anything like this since it seems the mumble has been dead-ish for the past couple of weeks or so as far as mapmakers go.
Back to top Go down
Xephelium
Elite
Elite
Xephelium

PostSubject: Re: Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)   Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 6:58 pm

The cube limit is an important part of the map challenge, otherwise there's not as much of a point in passing the map around. So there should be some limit.

I think 25 cubes allows enough leeway for creativity, but also forces the level maker to be resourceful. I sketched out some ideas for rooms and it looks like I could make do with 25-30. You want to have enough cubes for a neat room, and also enough for neat hallways connecting that room to other places. No level maker would want to spend their turn building the hallways between the rooms.

Let's just start a level and post it on dmdb or something using a new profile that everyone knows the password to, then post updates here whenever someone is going to work on it/finished with their turn. (We should make it clear in the dmdb description that it is not a playable level yet). People could also get a head start by saving their creation as a block.

Also, what are the rules on custom textures?
Back to top Go down
Enzo03
Cadet
Cadet

PostSubject: Re: Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)   Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 10:07 pm

One point of the challenge is for each individual mapmaker to submit their own completed level, though mapmakers taking turns to build a complete level is also a cool idea, and something I have done. An example of one of these kinds of collaborations is a level I recently uploaded called Dang Mang!!, where three of us (Blarget, JinX, and I) started base maps, then sent the level to one person while receiving another level from another, then modifying it. We'd swap every 30 minutes of real time.

But that's different from this.

As for custom textures, well the first level I'm going to use for this will be D1, but I will also convert the base map to D2. The rules on custom textures are simply that they are allowed as long as they do not appear in any of the cubes on the base map, just like no cubes or textures on the base map can be modified save the attaching of cubes to and from the base map.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)   Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mapmaker Mapmaker Make Me My Map (Idea)
Page 1 of 1